10 August 2009

A Corny Dinner

The husband was trying to tell me that I didn't need to go to the grocery store tonight (well, actually, he said I didn't need to drive to the store, but since it's 5 miles away...), to get those garbanzo beans to make curry, and that I could make a perfectly fine meal with the things we had in the house. I took this challenge and came up with this new (experimental) recipe.

Corny Tuna Cakes: makes 4 small cakes

1 can dolphin safe tuna in water (in brine is fine, omit salt later)
1 egg
2 slices left over cornbread
1/4 red onion diced small
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
oil (I used olive oil)


Crumble one piece of cornbread (I used leftover cheese & jalepeno corn bread) in a small bowl, add onion and egg, and mix up until liquidy. Add the can of tuna and stir. Add more cornbread crumbs until it reaches a consistency where you can pick it up without having it goo through your fingers, but is still pretty moist. Add salt and pepper (a LOT of salt if the cornbread isn't well salted, omit this here if you used tuna in brine) and paprika (if you use crappy store brand that has no taste, like me, use more). Cover the bottom of a pan in oil, heat to medium-high. Form balls/patties of tuna stuff and cover them with remaining cornbread crumbs (this will make it crispy-ish). Place in hot oil and fry until cooked through.

This is definitely still experimental, and the next time I have leftover cornbread and a can of tuna, I will try it again. Feel free to post improvements!

No comments:

Post a Comment